This article will help you to avoid pool problems in hot weather like our own Texas climate.Our summers have higher temperatures than most of the U.S. This hot weather can create problems for swimming pools, especially if you don't follow a regular swimming pool maintenance program.
We have hundreds of Houston Above Ground Pool customers and we only hear from those that have not kept up their maintenance program. From our experience, there are 2 main factors for proper pool care: 1) Equipment & 2) Water Chemistry
1) Your Pool EquipmentProperly operating equipment is very important in our Houston climate. Following are a few pointers concerning pool equipment:
You pump should be operating at least 10-12 hours per day. Depending on the pool, the pump must be working in order for the water to remain clear. If you have a salt system, you may need to operate the pump for even longer periods
Even though pools are different, we suggest if you have a salt system, your pump should run 80% to 100% of the time during the hottest times in Houston.
Give us a call if you have any questions.
Keep your filter clean.
Think ahead. If you are you having a get together coming up, be sure to know your guests. Be sure they pre-shower, and keep their dog at home; or at least out of the pool.
2) Water ChemistryMaintain water chemistry is critical during the warm summer months. Use these metrics as a guide:
Test the pH WEEKLY
- chlorine – 2.0 to 4.0ppm
- pH – 7.2 to 7.6
- cyanuric acid – 30 to 90ppm on chlorine pools
- 70 to 90ppm on salt pools
- salt level in a salt pool –2700 to 3500 ppm
Test Total Alkalinity monthly (or as needed)
- Total alkalinity – 80 to 100 for calcium hypochlorite, salt pools, & liquid chlorine pools
- 100 to 120 for dichlor and trichlor pools
- calcium hardness – 200 to 400 ppm
A few pointers concerning water chemistry from the front lines:
Test your water at least once per week. We suggest testing the chlorine, pH, and cyanuric acid on a weekly basis. If you have a salt system, it is also a good idea to test the salt on a regular basis.
If you are looking to take the plunge and buy a Houston Above Ground Pool from Casual Patio, Pools and Spas, complete the form to the right for a quote on a pool, installation and complete care.