It is the original american designed ceramic cooker. Derived from an ancient clay cooker called a "kamado," the modern Big Green Egg has undergone many improvements since it was introduced in 1974. Especially significant is replacement of the clay used in early models with durable space-age ceramics developed specifically for Big Green Egg to make the EGG® virtually indestructible under ordinary cooking conditions.
Some of the benefits of the Big Green Egg:
- Fast lighting - ready to cook in 10 minutes with no lighter fluid
- Ceramic walls retain heat with accurate temperature control and no hot spots
- Fuel efficient so there is no need to add more charcoal while cooking
- Constant tending not required; with enclosed cooking there are no grease flare-ups
- Withstands temperature extremes from below 0° to 1800°F
- Can be used year around, even in freezing temperatures and rain
- Surfaces stay cooler and is safer around children than a metal grill
- Weatherproof - ceramics won't rust
- smoke at 180 degrees or sear at up to 750
Produces the juiciest, most awesome food you'll ever taste!